viernes, 24 de agosto de 2007

Unforgettable

Mr. Beck
ENC 1101
Narrative Essay

Dad always said: "Get your duties done first and have fun later. That is the right way to go".
My sister, brother and I learned family values by the example of our parent's actions: honesty, sincerity, love, respect for our elders and sense of duty.
They believed that raising kids is like writing on a blank piece of paper, and that the principles we learn in our younger years stay with us ruling our lives as adults. I will never forget the lesson that my dad taught me the first time I didn't do my homework, and as a result of that his words would become my number one rule.
Before I knew it I was sitting in a classroom with another twenty five kids the same age as me. It was my first day as a student. Everything was new and exciting. There were lots of things to learn and kids to play with.
My teacher was a doll. Her name was Anne and she had a sweet face and deep blue eyes. Her white hair and peaceful face made her look very much like my grandmother, another reason to adore her.
She had infinite patience, not only to teach that untamed herd the first steps of reading and writing, but to make each of us feel special and unique. I thought she absolutely loved me and that I could get away with whatever I wanted. Of course, all my classmates thought the same way.
The first couple of weeks went by, and after being introduced to the vowels, we were given our first homework assignment: write each vowel twenty times in our work books. Homework was unknown for me, but in the back of my mind I knew it was something I was responsible for.
I got home that afternoon and, of course, I took off to play with my friends leaving my school bag untouched.
When I came back there was absolutely no time to do anything: I had to drive my dog crazy, mess up my room with toys, watch Mr. Ed -the talking horse- on TV, have dinner and, unfortunately, take a bath. Of course, before going to bed, I had to amaze my little sister describing the hazards of being a student.
A six year old can have a very busy schedule after school, right? I thought the vowels could wait, and since Mrs. Anne loved me so much, there was nothing to worry about.
The next morning I felt really bad, not only because I hadn't done my homework, but also because I would disappoint Mrs. Anne. My conscience was tapping me on the shoulder, but then I came up with a brilliant idea: "Mom, I'm feeling sick, my head is killing me. I need to stay home today".
Dad took over saying that I was just fine two minutes ago and he wanted to see my homework. Now I was sure fathers had superpowers that could read minds. They were almighty and unbeatable. There was no point in lying again, so I gave him the stuff.
Not an angry word came out of his mouth, and instead he told me to get ready for school. He took me himself and, believe me, that was the longest drive of my life
He waited until everyone was in the classroom and walked in holding my hand with a steel grip so I couldn't take off. Not that I would have anyway. Mrs. Anne was surprised, but pleased to see him.
In a loud enough voice for everyone to hear Dad said: "Good morning Madam, here is Paula, who didn't want to come to school today because she didn't do her homework." The earth opened under my feet and I was falling in a never ending black hole at a thousand miles per hour. I was finished and terminated. My face turned so red that I could literally feel the heat. My embarrassment had no limits. After he left, I crawled to my seat. To my surprise and relief, no one said a word and the day went by smoothly.
God was merciful after all, but I was one quiet child that day. I had nothing to be proud of. Although this was one of the toughest moments in my life, it was also one of the most important. I learned that lesson the hard way. I realized the truth behind what I've been taught at home and how important a sense of duty is and why we have to fulfill our obligations before anything else.
Paula Pozzi - 8 October 2004

No hay comentarios: